The Adolph Schreiber Hebrew Academy of Rockland (ASHAR) is proud to look back on 60 years of service to the greater Monsey community. From its inception in the autumn of 1954, the school has maintained its place as one of the leading yeshiva day schools in the tri-state area, ably and creatively meeting the needs of a diverse student and parent body united in its desire to infuse an exceptional Torah and general studies curriculum with love of Israel and concern for Jews world-over.
First housed in Monsey's Community Synagogue on Cloverdale Lane, the school was originally called the Hebrew Institute of Rockland County (HIRC) and was immediately recognized as filling a unique niche in the Monsey community. Beginning with just two classrooms and 26 students, HIRC attracted families seeking a broad and balanced Torah education. Songs, plays, yom tov celebrations and chesed projects all provided for a lively curriculum. In the early years, many of these programs were voluntarily coordinated by dedicated parents extraordinarily devoted to the fledgling school's success.
In 1956, HIRC moved to the edifice that would be home for the next 56 years. That same year, Rabbi Irving Levy z"l, the first Chairman of the Board of Education, encouraged Rabbi Nachum Muschel z"l to join the Monsey community and HIRC. Over the course of more than four decades, Rabbi Muschel led the school through tremendous growth and success. During his tenure as Principal and later Dean, Rabbi Muschel created a groundbreaking Jewish Studies curriculum that continues to anchor ourlimudei kodesh program and remains a model for numerous other institutions.
Over time, HIRC grew both in physical size and enrollment. In 1975, HIRC was renamed the Adolph Schreiber Hebrew Academy of Rockland in memory of one of the school's founders.
Sixty years later, ASHAR's mission continues. Adjustments to new communal realities are balanced and fused with steadfast devotion to our core goal: producing young men and women prepared not only for higher education, but to meet the challenges of an ever-changing world as true yirei shamayim, lifelong learners, and, above all, mekadshei shem shamayim. The opening of ASHAR's state-of-the-art facility on 360 New Hempstead Road in September 2012 marked the beginning of an exciting chapter in the Yeshiva's history. While our new plant will comfortably accommodate an ever-expanding student body and significantly enhance all aspects of our program, the spirit of our past remains eternally ingrained. Come visit us, and see why the name ASHAR remains synonymous with superior Jewish and general studies, refined middot, love of Israel and an all-encompassing commitment to chesed.